Thursday, January 6, 2011

Last-minute stresses

As I was finishing up my packing - all very last minute (I have enough comfort food and hygiene products for probably the entire group) - I became overwhelmed with stress. For months now I really haven't felt anxious or nervous, only excited. Suddenly, the day before leaving for the trip, it all hit me. I became worried about 'culture shock,' safety, my confidence in speaking Spanish, missing friends, family, my animals and home... as I fell asleep for just a few hours, I was disappointed to feel that my emotional capacity was full of stress and fear, with little room for excitement. I was so scared all of a sudden. Being someone who strongly prefers to do things ahead of time and who also handles change poorly, I felt pretty helpless and exhausted.

But as these feelings seemed to overwhelm me, I kept telling myself that it will be worth it. Cuba will be more than worth it. This experience is one of a kind and I'm privileged to have the opportunity, funds, and determination to tackle it. I will learn more in the next three months than I ever have. It will be hard at times, yes, but I am ready to push through the hard times and appreciate everything Cuba will give to me. I cannot let my 'self' be consumed and controlled by fear. I have to take full advantage of what this trip will offer me and I cannot wait for the adventure to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment