Thursday, January 6, 2011

Adventure Anxieties

In the days that led up to my departure for Cuba, although I maintained a cool and calm exterior, I am extremely nervous. Despite the fact that I had just recently taken a class on Cuba and its history and culture, which provided me with a rough outline of society and history of the country, I realized days before I left that I really had no idea what I was about to experience. I kept wondering if my Spanish was going to be good enough, what the living situation was going to be, if I was going to make any friends, if I was going to be hustled a lot, and how and if I would be able to navigate the dual currency and using money. All that I was sure about was it was that rather than go on a trip, I was about to embark on a real adventure. Deep down I was confident that everything was going to be ok. I am used to leaving home and going to strange places where I know no one. I first tried it 3 years ago when I left New York and my family and friends to go to the University of Michigan. Back then I knew it was sink or swim, and luckily I managed to establish long lasting friendships and manage to make it on my own. Knowing this, I was certain, somewhat, that I was going to be fine in Cuba. However, that nagging voice in the back of my head, which quickly took over my entire brain, was consistent in its doubts and worst case scenarios, constantly reminding me that I was not totally prepared for what was to come.

As I looked over my suitcase, filled with clothes, 2 soccer balls, a mask and snorkel, and several books, I realized that this adventure was not only about what I would learn about Cuba and its people, but also, its corny to say, a lot about myself as a person. Mainly, I was hoping that after this trip, I would come back more confident in my Spanish speaking ability and maybe even with a few salsa moves to show off at parties. Additionally, I hoped to return with a more complete understanding of a society and people that has been virtually cut off from us for decades, and intend to learn a lot from talking to everyone and anyone I meet. As I attempt to prepare myself for this venture, one thing I am sure of is that throughout my time there, I will keep an open mind and try to experience anything and everything that comes my way as I try to take in all of Cuba within the short time frame of 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment